KingkongkahunaNZ

The tale of a one-way ticket to the other side of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Saturday, October 07, 2006

I love going to movies by myself

I love going to movies by myself. Without a friend or date beside you sharing your popcorn you can completely lose yourself, firstly in the anonymity of the darkened theatre and secondly in the celluloid world on the screen. And afterwards, if the film is particularly good, you can walk all the way home with your head still lost in that world, without interruptions asking you 'What did you think?' Don't get me wrong, I love going to movies with friends and discussing it afterwards. But I think people should go to the pictures by themselves more often. I've been twice this week. First, I went to see Nacho Libre. Jack 'cartoon' Black and his technicolour blue skies brightened up another dreary Wellington day. However, these paled compared to the film I saw last night. This week I finished reading 'The Black Dahlia' by James Ellroy and I was thirsty for more period- America LA noir. 'Brick' was showing at the Rialto cinema in town. I wasn't sure at first- loved the soundtrack, loved the look but was worried these hip speaking kids weren't going to pull it off. I was wrong and by the time we got round to the scene between Brendon and the Principal/Police chief I was grinning from ear to ear and didn't stop till the final reel/reveal wiped the smile right off of my face. My walk home was scripted by Raymond Chandler with a voice over by Bogart and I'll be reading Sam Spade once my library card is through. As I said, I love going to movies by myself. It's my birthday the day after tomorrow and if I don't get a better offer maybe I'll go to the pictures. If anybody wants to buy me Alabama for the night, I'll be in the Dream City Film Club from 9 x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home