KingkongkahunaNZ

The tale of a one-way ticket to the other side of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Newtown, Wellington NZ

Fourth night Wellington and it's hard to know where to start. Kinda like living in a GTA city with an Oriental Bay and Basin Reserve, skyscrapers at one end and long straight streets with taxi cabs and a map slowly revealing its self to me. Visted the unit yesterday. Staff seem really friendly. Scariest thing about the place was it's unfamilarity. That and the thought of finishing at 11pm. Now that's what I call a late early! (Can I come in at eight?). Also - 33% tax! B#$*!@ds!! "spose with all those thermal pools can't be cheap to keep the glaciers cool. Speakin' of cool - Cuba Street. Tattoo parlours and strip joints. Punk shop clothes and retro record shops that make me want to stop swopping files on the internet and start clutching vinyl to my chest all over again. Oh and Oirish pubs piping music out into street, warming the homesick hearts of those huddled outside for a fag. And maybe it's because Rocktober is just around the bend but I've notice this city seems to have an (un)healthy taste for the macabre including a Jack the Ripper play entitled 'Yours, truly' premiering next week and on Black Friday the 13th a zombie parade through the city streets. (Yes Milla, I do realise it will be full of goths). On a lighter note there is a tree climbing competition this Saturday and I would certainly be attending this evenings ukelele concert if I hadn't already a ticket for the World of Wearable Art show which looks spectacular. Oh, and it feels like Fall and the start of a new school even though I know it's not and I feel very happy and hope you do too. TTFN x

1 Comments:

Blogger Camilla said...

Hurrah you've arrived!
Tell all about the wearable art show. I will sporadically feed you more NZ words to add to your vocab.
ps- had another neurologist appt today and seems like they still can't find my brain- booked in for MRI scan now. Maybe my head is just all full of cake or sommat?

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home